Saturday, July 07, 2007

Crazy Aunt Pam's knitting class

In case you haven't heard, there's a heatwave goin' on in Cali. Oh yeah, last night at midnight it was still 96 degrees! Not exactly conducive to knitting (or sleeping, but who needs sleep anyway). So today I took the tween nieces swimming in the park. We have the coolest public pool here. They've dammed up a section of the creek, so those who dare, can swim with the fishes and those who don't can lounge in the shade of the giant sycamores. Naturally, I brought along some sticks and string and the chickies brought theirs too.



These are the chickies...


That's Sarah on the left and Rilee on the right.

Last Saturday we spent a few hours searching for just the right yarns for their mystery projects. Let me tell you, these chickies are VERY ambitious...handwarmers, hats, and felted bags are on their wish lists already. But being the crazy aunt that I am, I suggested learning the basic stitches and a little swatching first. I know, I know, I'm such a spoil sport. I must say, though, I admire their confidence.

So after a day of yarn shopping and swimming, we finally got down to the knitting. My big dilemma...Continental or English? One is right handed and the other is a lefty, even more challenging. Now, I'm a Continental convert and wish that the stupid book I first bought had taught me that in the first place. I decided that considering one's a lefty and Continental is so much more efficient, I'd go there first. Unfortunately, little fingers had some problems with it, so we had to switch to English.



English worked (I'll convert them later) and soon we saw some swatches begin to grow.



Oh yeah, we had some fun!



They're going to the LYS knitting circle with me on Weds. I'm hoping to be able to post pics of their wrist bands and head bands by then. Are you reading this girls? Keep on knitting!

2 comments:

rachel iufer said...

YAY! more knitters! i hope they stick with it :)

lindasbrazil said...

Hi Pam, Sarah is definately a 'sticker'! She is so ready for class tomarrow night(7/18).
See you around 6 to 6:30pm.
~Linda =)