Sunday, July 06, 2008

Last minute bicycle (pattern) change

Bonjour mes amis!

I was planning to knit Leigh Radford's laptop case as my TDF KAL project, but alas, it's too damned hot to knit with wool. I'll save the laptop case for fall and instead knit up a design much more in keeping with the French theme.

I've begun the "French" Lace and Ribs Tank from Interweave Knits spring 2007.



Lace seems so much more French than felt, don't you think? I am a member of Team AG2R-Mondiale in the running for l'maillot vert. If you don't know much about the TDF, the green jersey is awarded to the best sprinter. This means that I am in a race with the clock to complete my project by July 27th. I think I'm a definite contender for this prize. First, I am part French, but before you fellow Americans call me snobby, you should know that my French ancestors came here to help in the American Revolution. Second, I know a little bit about cycling, having cycled in several bike marathons and my bicycle of choice, is Trek. And of course, what could be more French than someone who's studied fashion design? Maybe that last one is a stretch, but I also love French fries dipped in mayo (I hear that's very French).

I don't really know any of the riders on my official team, but I hear Desser is a possibility for the green. If I had to pick one for the yellow jersey, I'd have to choose Valverde. This could be his year.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

What a lovely pattern! Good choice.

I think the french fries with mayo is actually Quebecois, but no matter. I will stick with catsup!

I am a cyclist also (and also have a Trek--mine is a 2200). What rides have you done? I have done centuries in Lake Tahoe, Tucson, Maryland, and also Seattle to Portland (2 days).

I am thinking of getting a custom built bike next year--I have one of those birthdays that end with a zero and I think I deserve it.

gemma said...

Hi Pam, go team AG2R!!!
I am learning so much from visiting my team mates blogs ... french fries with mayo???? BBQ sauce for moi.

great knitting so far.

Shirley said...

Hi
French fries with white vinegar for me. Will you be having a final post for the Tour de France KAL? I'd like to add one to the TdFKAL blog if you're going to write one.
Your team leader
Shirley