Sunday, October 21, 2007

On the road again....


Last week I got to go on a fun little road trip with one of my colleagues. One of the best parts of my job is the fall College Info Fair circuit. I only get to visit a handful of schools, but it's nice to get out of the office for a few days and meet prospective students. Last week was the best trip yet.

On Monday, we left around noon to head off for South Lake Tahoe. Snow was in the forecast, so we had to stop for chains. To those of you who live in cold country, California is weird that way. You have to carry chains and I suspect it's because people don't buy all weather radials and they don't know how to drive in the snow. I happen to have lived in Colorado and so it all seems a bit strange here, but then again, I have never had to drive in snow here. The drive was gorgeous with beautiful fall colors in the mountains and mostly sunny skies. I did all the driving, so I have no pictures of my own from the drive, but here's what Tahoe looked like when we arrived.



The first night, we went to dinner at Cabo Wabo and stayed after in the bar to watch Monday Night Football...oh yeah, I won the office pool, 25 big ones! I was feeling so lucky that I dropped ten bucks on the Bucks Ahoy quarter slots and cleaned up with another $23. (Hey, big spender.) Didn't want to push my luck, so walked away, since I hardly ever win anything.

The next day of course was a work day at So. Lake Tahoe Comm. College. The people were great and it's a nice little college. The next day we were off to Quincy, CA for the Feather River College fair.



Ok, nothing, well hardly anything was open at four in the afternoon for coffee. We did find a cool place called Pangea Cafe & Pub Organic food, next to Organic beer, next to an espresso bar. Since we were on our way to a work thingy, of course coffee was on our menu. After the work thingy, we went to dinner at a great Italian place called Moon's. Mushrooms St. Thomas....mmm good!

After a late night drive, we settled in at our motel in Susanville at the Super 8, the highlight of our trip. We were a little nervous about this since Susanville is a prison town, but it was fine. It must have been a busy week for prison visitors, because it was the only place we could find a room and we booked in advance. The college put on a very nice fair and brought in lots of high school students. Back on the road for home that afternoon. Oh, the colors in the canyon were just beautiful!

Now you're probably wondering when I'm going to show the knitting that was happening, right? I can assure you it did happen, but I can't prove it. It's that time of year when the secret knitting begins, but you can see it on Ravelry if you're a member. I even converted my colleague. She's a lefty so it was easy to turn her into a continental knitter and she's making herself a headband, which may have to be felted in the end, but she's doing a great job. I'll try to get a picture soon.

1 comment:

rachel iufer said...

wow, sounds like you had a great trip!

we miss you at the knitting club!!! come back!!!