So, it was time to do something just for fun and outside of the regular knitting box. What better occasion than my student assistant's birthday. If you don't like to be the center of attention, our office is not the place to be working on your birthday.
This is Amanda. She graciously consented to let me plaster her face on my blog. Thanks ABC!!!
Amanda's modeling the Crepe Paper Crown from AlterKnits. Ok, so who'd have thought that Michael's doesn't carry crepe paper??? Oh, well, the sales associate has been itching to make the crown too and she had some fun ideas. I ended up walking out of the store with 2" craft ribbon and a bunch of other ribbons for trim.
After struggling with the craft ribbon for a couple of hours (too stiff), I hoofed it over to the dollar store and bought some crepe paper. Much better. Crepe paper is surprisingly easy to work with. It's flexible and pretty darned strong. Go slowly, but you'll love it. The patterned called for 3 rolls, but I only used one and about 3 yards of the second. I did work in one row of 3/4" organza ribbon.
The finishing trim was applied with a crochet hook using a slip stitch. Amanda said it wasn't scratchy feeling even with my straggly ends. I think next time I'll use a little glue, since it was hard to weave in the ends and make them stay.
I think she liked the crown and it'll probably become a tradition in our office. I'm also thinking that I might try to make it a family tradition too.
Plans for the next crown are already in the works
and it's about time to make a trip to the party store. They will probably have a better selection of colors.
So it's been pretty busy at work lately and I haven't been able to do my lunchtime knitting. On top of that, our knitting circle didn't meet on Wed, because it was V-Day. What's up with that? I was planning on actually having something to do that night.
The goal this weekend is to try to finish up the project for Chica.
1 comment:
that crepe paper crown is awesome! it's such a fun idea. every girl deserves a crown too :)
i was sad too that we didn't meet on V-day but i'll see you this wednesday!
Post a Comment