Once upon a time there was a cute and cuddly kitty named Jack. Although he had owners he was really the neighborhood kitty. Hmmm...does anyone ever really own a cat? But I digress. Everyday Jack could be found frolicking in the grass chasing butterflies and playing with the neighbor children. He loved to run and play, roll in the grass and let the children carry him around.One day, Jack's family moved away and left him and he came to live with FishKnits. It took awhile for Jack to learn where his new home was and he almost ran away after FishKnits took him to the vet to be snipped (ouch), but in the end he knew he had found a human who would care for him. It was summer and hot in northern California, so Jack spent his days sleeping in the cool bathroom sink and his nights chasing bugs in the moonlight.
Jack was always very interested in whatever FishKnits had on her needles. He would snuggle in her lap and place his furry paw in the ball of yarn so it wouldn't roll away. He was so helpful. One Sunday afternoon, FishKnits fell asleep and left her knitting on the coffee table. It was so wonderful to be able to take a nap and feel comfort in the knowledge that Jack wouldn't let her ball of yarn roll away.
On this day, however, curiosity got the better of Jack. He very quietly rolled the ball off of the table onto the floor but it just kept rolling. He tried to pick it up with his little cat paws and it bounced and rolled around the table leg. He tried again and it bounced and rolled further. Hard as he tried it just kept rolling around; up and over the table cross, around and around the chair legs. It wouldn't stop. All the while FishKnits was sweetly dreaming of her next project. After a time, Jack discovered that rolling a ball of yarn around and catching and throwing it was more fun than chasing bugs in the grass. Before long, he had unravelled the entire ball of yarn.
About an hour later, FishKnits awoke from her dreamy sleep. The sun had gone down and in the semi darkness she got up and went to the kitchen to make dinner and feed her fur child, Jack. On the way, she tripped on something and turned on the light. Her eyes flew open wide with shock. An entire ball of yarn was looped and twisted up and around every single piece of furniture in two rooms! In the middle of it all sat Jack, purring like he'd never purred before and oh, so thankful that FishKnits had left him the best toy ever. It was like Christmas in July! He rubbed her leg and purred and was happier than he'd ever been, having discovered this delightful new form of entertainment. Although it took her nearly an hour to untangle the mess of yarn with Jack contentedly curled up in her lap, she could not be angry. She did, however, resolve to keep her yarn out of reach of little kitty paws in the future.
I'm working on a project for my dear friend Chica's baby, Pezito, but I can't show it now. Suffice to say that I've been waiting for the yarn to arrive in the mail for 3 wks and it arrived on Friday, so I set aside the CPH and got started. I'm about 30% finished. I'm hoping this will be a weeklong project, so that I can mail it soon.
2 comments:
I love this story about Jack. I remember when you told me about it, but reading it (written so eloquently) made me laugh once again. I read the little bit about about chica's baby and it took me a while to realize that was me! You're so sweet. I can't believe that you ordered the yarn & then waited three weeks for it! It's really going to make my little guy feel special! Thank you!
i loved your story! i'm all too familiar with that frightening sight. it's amazing what animals can do with yarn in such a short amount of time.
in other news, i've tagged you for a small meme! check out my blog for details...
Post a Comment