A medium sized crisis hit the old homestead on Saturday. There was a kitchen fire a week before moving day. I wasn't home, but Jack, my cat was. There are some really stupid people in the world and I no longer live downstairs from them. Yeah, evidently the smoke alarm was going for at least half an hour and they didn't bother to call 911. They thought I was cooking...sheesh. The old stove has push button controls on the front and I guess I leaned on one before leaving to clean at the new place. Something must have fallen onto the burner and whoosh. Other neighbors saw smoke, 911 was called, firemen bashed down the front door, the cat ran out and after making their way through some serious down to the ground smoke, but thankfully, the fire had put itself out and was contained to the stove top and a couple of items nearby.
The big mess, however, is the smoke damage. What a mess! Hopefully, the claims adjuster and the restoration company can get things done in a day or two since I have to move on Saturday.
The second worst part (and it's a close second) is all of the washing of yarn and WIPs to be done. So far the clothes are coming out smelling fine, but I dread washing all of the yarn. So, no pictures to show, it's too depressing.
On a good note, the painting of Hazel's pantry went well and I can't wait to get it organized and show it off.
3 comments:
Oh, no! Hope all goes well in the cleaning process. Too bad there are no professional yarn cleaners you can hire and then bill the insurance company. You probably only trust yourself to do it right. Hang in there.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have insurance so was able to hire professionals and it's gone pretty well. Just got my stuff back this week, so now unpacking.
Pam--I would love to give you the books for your niece! Send me your address at lucy@lucysilag.com.
Sorry I don't have any other way to get in touch with you!! But glad to find your blog, too. :-)
Post a Comment