Saturday, August 22, 2009

New digs

This post is not about knitting, although there is knitting in progress. It's about my new digs. The current neighborhood has totally gone down the toilet and my life has been stuck in a rut. With the help of my sis, et al, I've found a new old place and will be moving soon. The new place is sunnier, but is old and has some serious design flaws, so I'll give a tiny preview and invite suggestions for decorating on a serious budget. In preparation, I've been reading a couple of design and DIY blogs and can't wait to get started creating. I think it'll be fun to show the UGLY before shots and(hopefully)fun and creative after shots. Here goes with some of the uglies.

It's a 2 bedroom townhouse and sits right next to Little Chico Creek (I know, the name sounds redundant, but we also have a Big Chico Creek in town). I love that there are gardenias by the front door and that there is a security screen door so that I can let in air and the scent of gardenias.



The smallest kitchen in the world with the largest appliances. Hmmm...hopefully, the floors will be replaced soon.




Dining - There's somthing I like about the funky, waffly room divider...will figure out a way to make it interesting.


Livingroom - am looking for a new sofa and have plans to recover an antique chair, paint some old furniture and make some cool pillows. Not sure about the window coverings yet, for now will keep the mini blinds.




Bedroom #2 with super duper craft closet/room on the landing. I am most excited about the hall closet. It's really deep, so have plans to insert a sewing table, donated by a friend and put up shelves to house my sewing, knitting and crafting supplies.


Bathroom - boring, but I think I'll go with a light (not mint)green shades. I want this to be a soothing room and will probably make my own shower curtain from a cute printed sheet. I'm envisioning plants and I also have a little antique plant stand that I will paint to match.


Bedroom #1 - this will be my room. I have some huge mahogany furniture and it will not fit in this little room, but the closet is twice the size I'm used to and very deep, so will pobably put the vanity in the closet since it's low and and maybe put my small TV on it. In the room will be the four poster and a highboy. I need some color inspiration, but have been thinking of white linens with splashes of aqua, green and something else...not sure. Ideas anyone?


Bedroom #2 again - thinking about a large world map from National Geographic and going with a travel theme. Inspriration for color will probably come from the earth tone map and some of my treasures from Latin America. I have a twin bed set, but will probably try to make the bed look more like a daybed and shove it against the wall so that I can put my desk in the room and use it as a home office.


Super ugly back patio/soon to be Garden Oasis - Want to get a chaise lounge and another chair with a small table. Thinking of putting up a trellis with something that climbs for added greenery and most plants will be in pots so that I can take them with me next time I move. Also thinking about stringing up some white lights. It's a really small space, but I want it to be a nice place to relax and pretty for when I entertain so that guests can spill out onto the patio garden. I may go with an old world look with patina'd accessories and pretty colors.


Pretty long post, I know, but looking for ideas and plan to show before and after photos as soon as I get started. There's a lot of cleaning to do, but I will have at least a week before moving. Oh, and if anyone out there sends ideas, keep in mind this is a rental. I hope to stay for awhile, but can't really alter anything too much.

No comments: